Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The more I experience...

The more I experience the less I know. Isn't that the beginning of wisdom or something? Well, I sure don't feel wise, just...lost. I was a psychology major. I did fairly well in my classes. I thought it was fascinating trying to discover motivation for actions. Why do people...? was always a fascinating question that I could usually come up with an answer to. I now understand that most of my reasoning was the arrogance of youth. When I was young I thought I knew the why of what people did most of the time. I was sure that it could be known even if I didn't know. Now I'm not sure. I can *think* I know why someone did or chose something, but I've been proven wrong so many times I have no confidence in my conclusions. I strongly suspect that the motivation for many actions can never be known, sometimes not even by the person who does them. What it comes down to is that I don't understand people. I *think* I understand my people, my family and close friends, but I could even be wrong about them. I certainly don't understand anyone else. It's like functioning in a perpetual fog, but I guess it's better to know I'm in fog than to think I can see clearly when I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment